- Is it hot in there?
- YES! A big part of being a mascot is learning how to handle the heat. Much like a firefighter must get used to wearing heavy equipment in a hot environment, a mascot performer must build up an endurance to being in suit. This isn’t just a skill but a matter of life and DEATH. You can DIE from heat stroke. Learn the warning signs of heat illness before you get in costume.
- How did you become a mascot?
- I studied theater in high school and always had an interest in sports. I contacted local minor and major league teams to see if they needed a backup or escort for their mascot and began working for a minor league soccer and arena football team. When I went to college in Orlando I auditioned for jobs at Universal Studios and Walt Disney World and began performing as a parade and Halloween character. I again contacted local sports teams and began working as a backup mascot for the WNBA and NBA team as well as working as a game day promotions assistant. I used the footage from my performance as a backup and applied for other jobs eventually landing a position with NCAA Basketball and the Tampa Bay Rays of Major League Baseball.
- How can I become a mascot?
- Visiting this website helps! Read and study what we say here. Also, do what I did, contact local sports teams and organizations to see if they need a mascot. Check out our job board. Take dance and improv acting classes. Gain skills such as juggling, stilt walking, unicycling, and gymnastics.
- How much do mascots get paid?
- It can be as low as minimum wage and as high as hundreds of dollars an hour. Some top level professional mascots make six figures in their full time positions.
- How can I buy a mascot?
- How much do mascot costumes cost?
- A custom mascot costume can cost anywhere from $3,500-$20,000 with most costumes falling in the $4,500-$8,000 range. Stock costumes range from $1000-$3000. Economy costumes are lower quality and range from $300-1000. When it comes to mascot costumes you definitely get what you pay for. An inexpensive costume is just that, CHEAP.