Sometimes you’ll have to wear a costume that wasn’t made for you or that is old and in need of repair. Here are some common mascot costume problems / issues and how to fix them:
- The helmet inside the head is too big
- Try adding some foam to the helmet. You can get sheets of 1/4″ or 1/2″ foam at fabric stores or online. You can also try wearing a bandanna or a headband, but be cautious as sometime these can move on your head and slip over your eyes.
- The helmet inside the head is too small
- Call the costume company and see if the helmet is adjustable. If it isn’t, you’re out of luck for the moment. You’ll need to get the helmet replaced so you can wear it.
- There is no chinstrap for the helmet
- See what type of helmet it is and look for a replacement. The most common are baseball and hockey helmets.
- There is no helmet inside the head
- Well, to be blunt, you have a crappy costume. A helmet is necessary for the best fit and allows for the best performance. Heads without helmets often have straps that secure under the performer’s arms. If there are no straps see if you can add them on. A word of caution, safety pins can come undone and may end up stabbing you or a fan.
- The shoes are too big
- Try wearing multiple layers of socks or try wearing a scuba bootie inside the foot. The best mascot feet allow you to secure your own sneaker with straps or are built over sneakers that are your size.
- The shoes are too small
- If you can’t get your shoes into the mascot feet, try going barefoot. If this doesn’t work you may be out of luck. For a quick fix see if you can find clown shoes or costume shoes for a replacement.
- My neck shows
- If the costume has a neck, see if you can get it to stay in place by pinning it down or tucking it into the body of the costume. If this doesn’t work find a lycra hoodie the same color of the costume and try wearing that.
- My wrists show
- Wear wristbands the same color of the costume
- My legs show
- Wear knee high socks the same color of the costume or tights.
- Lost the gloves
- A costume shop will have cartoon style hands or different types of gloves for a quick fix. If you can’t get to a costume store try a using batting/football/soccer goalie gloves or use mover gloves from a Home Depot/Lowes.
- Lost the feet
- For a quick fix try clown shoes or the largest pair of sneakers you can find.